Saint Goulven Church

Historic sites and monuments
Goulven church (6) (Copy)

Why take advantage?

According to legend, this church was founded by Saint Goulven, a hermit, in the second half of the 6th century. Remodeled over the centuries, it was completely rebuilt between the 14th and 17th centuries. The current building, with the exception of the tower on its southern flank, dates from the late 15th/early 16th century.
The question arises: why such an imposing steeple (58m) for such a small church (24m/18m)? The answer lies in the worship of Saint Goulven. Indeed, until the French Revolution, this cult was widespread and, for pilgrimages to be valid, an offering had to be left, making the construction of such a bell tower possible.
The bell tower bears the date 1593 at its base, when construction began. The work was not completed until 46 years later, in 1638. The duration of the work can be explained by the small number of workers, never more than 3 or 4, and the interruption caused by the Wars of Religion. The church was struck by lightning twice, in 1763 and 1836.
The church was listed as a Monument Historique in 1862, and the cemetery and former ossuary in June 1906.
Extend your visit with a visit to the miraculous fountain of St Goulven, located 500m from the Chapelle de Penity, on a hiking trail just a short stroll from the village. End the day with a snack/tasting at the nearby "Kouign Amann Berrou" (artisanal production and sale of Breton pastries and specialties). Walk along the Goulven dike to see the imposing church from another angle - Goulven church renovated in 2013, the oldest working organ in Finistère. Guided tours at 4pm on 30/06, 7, 15, 21 and 28/07, 4, 11, 18 and 25/08 and 01/09.

Classified or listed (CNMHS)
Theme(s) : Church
Historic sites and monuments

Saint Goulven Church

Le Bourg
29890 Goulven
Getting there with Google Maps